November is Men’s Health Awareness Month – A time to focus on the health risks that face males in the UK.
Do you know the risks?
- 1 in 8 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer at some point in their lives[i]
- 146,000 people suffer a heart attack every year, of which 52,000 will survive[ii]
- 1 in 35 men will develop cancer before the age of 50[iii]
- By the age of 75 1 in 6 men will have had a stroke; the average age in Northern Ireland is only 38[iv]
- There are around 100,000 people in the UK living with Multiple Sclerosis, the average age of diagnosis is 20-40[v]
Scary, isn’t it? As a male, or the partner of a male, you should take some time to think …..
- What am I doing to protect my health?
- How would I, and my family, cope if I was struck with a critical illness?
- Could I, and my family, cope financially if I had to give up work?
The good news is that with developments in medicine survival rates for all illnesses are improving. However, Macmillan Cancer reported that 4 in 5 cancer patients suffer a loss of income and/or higher costs as a result of their new diagnosis.
When you are ill the bills don’t stop. MacMillan Cancer said the ‘hidden cost’ of cancer is around £570 per month. Your employer may help for a while but savings, which have taken years to accumulate, can quickly be used up. This is where an Income Protection policy comes into effect
Everyone knows what they need to do to help reduce the risks – follow a healthy diet, exercise regularly, minimise stress etc. But no one can truly prevent a critical illness striking, you can however help minimise the impact it has financially on you and your family.
At The Mortgage Clinic we will help you to protect your finances so that in the event of critical illness the last thing you need to worry about is money, allowing you and your family to only focus on what matters – you getting better!
There are various policies available to protect you and we can help you pick the one that best suits your needs and your pocket.
- Income Protection
- Serious Illness Cover
- Accident & Sickness Cover
- Critical Illness Cover
- Life Insurance
Don’t wait until it is too late. Be sure to check out the following websites:
If you would like to arrange a free consultation to discuss your options contact The Mortgage Clinic – Insurance Brokers Belfast.